Choosing a hair restoration physician can be confusing and the process should not be taken lightly.
Your choice of physician will determine whether you end up with a natural looking transplant or one that is very obvious.
I have compiled the following list of hints to help make that choice a little more straight forward.Firstly, retain healthy scepticism and conduct thorough research before committing to a transplant.
- Ask yourself if you are comfortable with the physician? Do you feel as though they are assisting you to evaluate all of your options rather than simply pushing you down a particular path.
- Choose a hair restoration clinic that is patient rather than commercially focused. The more commercial operations, which often rely on heavy advertising, place a heavy emphasis on revenue, speed and volume of business.
- Try to speak to past patients of the clinic so that you can see the results obtained for yourself and find out if their experience was positive.
- Ask to see a comprehensive set of patient before and after photographs.
- Find out if the physician’s primary focus is on hair transplantation. Physicians who specialise in hair transplantation aloneÂ rather than a broad range of cosmetic practicesÂ are more likely to achieve outstanding results.
- Be aware that not all hair transplants are the same.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the physician about their transplant techniques. Remember, it is the way the surgeon places the transplanted follicle that will make a difference between an obvious and a completely natural looking transplant.
- Hair loss patients should find out exactly how many hairs they are likely to end up with after having a transplant. Be aware of the difference between having a transplant where 1000 grafts equates to just 1,000 hairs and one where the same amount of grafts results in up to 4,000 hairs.
- Conduct internet searches to find out about the physician’s international experience.